I am a firm believer in lifting moderate weights with a better mind-body connection and focus on muscle contraction, it’s not often that I recommend packing a few more additional pounds in a workout routine.
What are weighted vests and body weights?
Weighted vests or body weights are an incredibly powerful tool to take your athletic performance to the next level. Many pro-athletes are using it as a versatile tool to improve the overall athletic performance (4). Stay with us and we are going to talk each and everything about weighted vest or body weights.
Have you started imagining yourself as military personnel who is performing brutal military Bootcamp style workout? Slow down mate, I am not into brutal style of workout.
Some of the best workouts that you can do with your weighted vest are:
- Tempo running
- Brisk walking
- Box jumps
Weighted vests have evolved over a period of time, they are not the same as before. Most of the weighted vests are designed to keep your body’s center of gravity unchanged.
Its general purpose is to use the weight vest in adding extra weight for body-weight exercises, distance running, speed, walking, quick drills and agility.
Weighted Vest Benefits
Weighted vest delivers some incredible benefits that are hard to be achieved by any other fitness equipment. Let’s go through some undeniable benefits of a workout with a weighted vest.
Accelerated calorie burning:
No matter what your age is or what exercise you do, a weighted vest always proves to be an accelerator in the calorie-burning process.
Wearing a 20 additional pound vest demands extra energy expenditure which results in accelerated calorie burning.
Study (3) concluded an improvement in metabolic responses and ground reaction forces.
It’s one of the most versatile workout accessories you can probably buy. You can walk, run or do bodyweight workouts with it.
I personally recomend a weighted vest to clients who prefer outdoor workout, it’s a single accessory that delivers improved athletic performance.
Muscles are developed by undergoing higher resistance.
With those additional 20-40 pounds, you are actually preparing your body for heavier loads. Training with a weighted vest stimulates muscle development and stronger bones.
A study (1) conducted to evaluate the sprinting performance of nineteen soccer players found positive results.
Another Research conducted to investigate the effects of a training weighted vest found a loss of hip aBMD and increase bone formation in older adults with obesity.
It’s not just the muscle that is working hard, your core plays a very important part in-body stabilization.
Training with additional weight demands extra core strength which leads to a stronger core. You don’t really need to rely on thousands of crunches for that perfect abdomen; routine agility workout and some planking session with 20 pounds of weighted vest can do the work for you.
Not just the fitness athletes, the weighted vest plays a very crucial role in improving agility in high-intensity sports. A study (2) conducted on eight male athletes to investigate the effects of a weighted vest on overall performance. Study found some impressive improvement in agility and overall performance.
Beat the plateau
Following the same fitness routine for months may lead to entering plateau.
Plateau is nothing but a state of saturation where your body pauses further development. Challenging it with additional resistance can help in breaking the state of the plateau.
Introducing a weighted vest for 4 weeks after every 8 weeks of the training program can help in breaking the PR. Overall, it will transform you into a stronger being.
Are you walking with weights in a backpack?
That’s certainly not the best choice to go for.
Walking with weights in a backpack definitly adds up the extra weight to your walk but it’s not equally distributed.
Heavy backpacks may lead to excess strain on the spine because of the constant jerks and incorrect posture.
Weighted vests are designed to distribute that extra weight evenly to the body which allows greater stability with lesser chances of injury.
Weighted vests are also designed to stick to the body as close as possible and gives you an uncompromised center of gravity.
Investing a few bucks in a good weighted vest is definitly a better choice than having injured back.
How to: Jogging with a weighted vest
Jogging with a weighted vest is definitly a fun way to improve many aspects of your overall performance. It assists in burning more calories, increased speed, posture, and bone health (5). It’s important to understand the right way to jogging with a weighted vest, let’s discuss important pointers.
- Make sure to start with low weight, maybe 10 pounds for a week. Gradually increasing the weight allows your body to adapt.
- Make sure the weight is tightly secured around your body. The disproportionate distribution of weights may affect the body’s center of gravity and lead to bad posture.
- Heavy weighted vest are good for bodyweight exercises like pullups, pushups, planks, squats, etc, but not the right choice for jogging. Keeping the additional weight around 20 pounds is a sweet spot.
- See your doctor if you experience sore joints.
- Stay conscious about your posture while you jog with an additional weighted vest. In order to run with heavier weights, some people make themselves vulnerable to injuries.
So we have talked about the do’s and dont’s of jogging with a weighted vest. Let’s get to know the expected benefits now.
- You can expect to see a considerable improvement in running strides.
- Jogging with a weighted vest helps in burning 5-15 percent of enhanced calorie burning.
- Reach your beach body goal at an accelerated pace. Jogging with a weighted vest helps in improving muscle building, core strength, and cardiovascular health. All three components lead the way to a sexier version of yourself.
- 4 weeks of running with a weighted vest can help in improving the overall ability to cover longer distances with much ease.
Let’s see the best weighted vests that are developed for walking and running.
- Weights workout equipment is perfect for cardio and weight training, increases the intensity and efficiency of your...
- Aduro weighted vest adds extra resistance evenly to body weights, it will not slip and slide during any activities
- We designed Aduro weight vests for men, women or kids with an adjustable front belt and soft neoprene material for...
- Mesh pocket on the back of this workout equipment saves room for you to add extra weight pockets if needed
- Backed by Aduro Sport Lifetime Limited Warranty and friendly US customer service, buy this Weight Vest with confidence
- Professional-grade weight vest based on a patented design and fabric
- Comes with 10lbs of high-density steel weights with capacity for more
- Thin profile provides full range of motion
- Stretch fabric is wicking, odor resistant, cool and comfortable; open side for ventilation
- Unisex design with side lacing for highly-adjustable fit
- Weights come Included - weights can be added or removed at any time for any workouts
- Features - Phone pocket and water bottle holder included for your Convenience.
- Durability- Lifetime included. We stand behind our products so you can workout worry free.
- Shoulder pads option: the option to add extra shoulder comfort if needed.
- Equal weight distribution- with pockets located front and back of the vest, This vest will give you maximum comfort...