Barbells are the most basic piece of equipment you see at every gym, still, many people do not have a clear understanding of these. Soo many people do not have any idea about the difference between an Olympic barbell and a Standard barbell.
Do you know there are more than 20 types of barbells available in the market, and today, we are going to clarify the differences between the most common barbells you will encounter.
Difference between Olympic vs Standard barbell: 2 inches spinning sleeves are definitly the most visible difference between Olympic bar and standard bar. Additionally, both barbells also differ in the quality of knurling, tensile strength, whip, knurling marks, price, and weight plates.
Whether you are looking to buy a barbell for the garage gym or for regular gym training, knowing a few basics truly determines the quality of the workout. Let’s start our comparison-
Olympic vs Standard Barbell
1# Size and weight
The size difference between the barbell is definitly the first thing you will notice.
Olympic and standard barbells differ largely in size and weight.
While Olympic barbells are designed to meet competition standards designated by the IWF, thus Olympic barbells have the standard weight, length, and sleeves diameter.
On the other hand, there is no regulation on the size and weight of the Standard barbell resulting in differences in dimensions.
Standard barbell: They can differ in size and weight, the standard barbell size may range from 5 ft to 7ft. Its weight can range between 10-25 lbs. Commonly, the standard barbell has a 1” diameter of the shaft with a fair quality of knurling. The standard barbell also features non-rotating sleeves with 1” diameter.
Olympic barbell: Every IWF certified Olympic bar has to have a same dimension. The quality of material and tensile strength may differ from the manufacturer but all will have uniform weight, length, and diameters.
The Olympic barbell weighs 20 kg and is 7.2ft long. Their shaft has a diameter of 1.1 inches and the outer sleeve has a diameter of 2 inches.
There is also a Women’s Olympic Bar which is 5 kg lighter and has a shorter diameter of shaft for better grip.
|Barbell||Weight||Length||Sleeve Diameter||Grip Diameter|
|Standard Barbell||15-30lbs||7.2 ft (2.2m)||1 inch (25mm)||1-1.1 inch (27-28mm)|
|Men’s Olympic Barbell||44lbs (20kg)||7.2 ft (2.2m)||2 inch (50mm)||1.1 inch (28mm)|
|Women’s Olympic Barbell||33lbs (15kg)||6.6 ft (2.1m)||2 inch (50mm)||0.9 inch (25mm)|
If you can go 20-years back in time, you won’t find many gyms with Olympic barbells, most of the gyms were having only regular bars.
Both the barbells were sufficient enough to perform basic lifting work but over time Olympic barbell was proven a little more efficient and reliable resource.
With the standard weight and dimensions, Olympic barbells got more preference over the old school standard 1″ barbells.
Olympic barbells are built with the finest quality heavy-duty steel that could withstand heavy load and spinning sleeves were also proved effective in injury prevention.
Olympic bars were manufactured to withstand heavy load, High tensile strength steel is used to manufacture these bars.
Olympic bars are created with a tensile strength of more than 190k PSI, on the other hand, most standard barbells are built with a maximum weight capacity of 300-400 lbs.
While the standard barbells have a weight capacity of about 200-400lbs only, most of the Olympic barbell has a capacity of more than 1100lbs.
Only serious lifters know the essence of quality knurling. Knurling is the texture provided on the shaft for better gripping. Three factors define the quality of knurling-
While the placement of knurling on standard barbell may differ by manufacturers.
Knurling placement in Olympic barbell has to follow standard rules, Marking is used in Olympic barbells as a means of measuring grip width.
Knurling in standard barbell is fairly smooth and does not prove effective for heavy lifts. Another drawback is, cheap standard barbells loses its knurling with regular use.
Knurling quality in the Olympic barbells varies from moderate to aggressive, depending on the requirements. Oly bars knurling is very high quality which is made to last for a long time (maybe forever).
There is no uniform standard followed before the manufacturing of standard bars.
Knurling in Olympic bars also varies according to their purpose, for example:
- Olympic barbell for Squats: These bars feature the knurling in the middle section to provide a better grip while squatting.
- Barbell for Olympic Lifting Movements: These movements include power cleans, front squats, etc, practice Olympic barbells might not contain knurling in the middle of the barbell. Knurling in the middle can severely irritate the lifter’s throat area.
While most people do not even care about the sleeves, they play an important role in weight stabilization.
Standard barbells are made of solid steel with a chromed finish, they do not contain separate spinning sleeves. These days, some manufacturers are creating standard barbells with rotating sleeves and call it an Olympic bar, beware with the scammers.
Olympic barbells feature 2” spinning sleeves. Spin is incorporated with the integration of either bearings or bushings.
Spinning sleeves are required when practicing Olympic-style movements such as the clean and jerk, spinning supports the lift by acting as a shock absorbent and helps in injury prevention.
If you already have a 1-inch hole weight plate, then you should be buying a standard barbell only.
Standard barbells can be ten times cheaper than Olympic barbells.
While you can get a standard barbell at low as $20, an Olympic barbell will definitly cost you tons of money, you are paying a high price for high tensile strength steel, build quality, spinning sleeves, whip, and compatible with 2” weight plates.
Did you notice that slight bend in the barbell when powerlifters do heavy squats or deadlifts? That is a whip.
A whip is an important function of a barbell that is purposely included. Technically speaking, a whip is a bar’s “ability to store elastic energy.” pro lifters use the kinetic energy of whip to lift heavier weight.
Standard barbells are not made with “whip” in mind, of course, they do bend, but they are not intentionally crafted that way. Bend in the standard barbell might be the sign of its maximum potential.
An Olympic barbell is created with the enhanced whip to support lifters. But all the bars do not contain the same whip quality, here is how they differ:
- Olympic deadlift barbell: They have the maximum whip to them.
- Olympic squat barbell: They are built with a moderate whip to get an improved grip.
- Olympic barbell for benchpress: Contains almost no whip. Lifter certainly doesn’t want their bar to bend while they benchpress, it could be fatal for the wrist.
8# Weight plates
Different weights plates are created for two different types of barbells. You certainly cant deadlift or squat with a standard barbell and Olympic weight plate (2-inches hole).
If you already have weight plates at home, then it’s better to invest in a barbell that fits your weights.
Amazon Best Sellers
- 【RUGGED & DURABLE STRUCTURE】Olympic weightlifting bar is made exclusively from high-grade steel and a hard chrome...
- 【KNURLED HANDLES DESIGN】This Olympic weight bar adopts the knurled handles for improving grip. These knurls not only...
- 【SUFFICIENT LENGTH & WEIGHT】This bar is very heavy, 84.6’’ long. Sufficient length allows you to do more...
- 【WIDE RANGE OF WORKOUTS】The superior design of our Olympic bar allows for a wide variety of workouts such as bench...
- 【BUY WITH CONFIDENCE】700 pounds weight capacity; Each Barbell is carefully tested and straightened to create just...
- 1-inch or 2-inch diameter bars at the length and color of your choice: 5-Foot, 6-Foot, 7-Foot
- Bars are chrome plated with solid steel construction for repeated use and long lasting
- Multiple knurling positions and lengths for your convenience and safety. All bars are rated 700-Pound capacity
- 0.97" or 1.97" bar end diameter to ensure bars fit all standard plates with holes 1" or 2"; Can be used with dumbbell...
- Bars only. Plates and collars are not included
- INCREDIBLE VALUE: LIONSCOOL Olympic weightlifting bar is made exclusively from high-grade steel and a hard chrome finish...
- Every Detail Matters: Top-quality bearings and 2 over-sized oil-impregnated bushings inside sleeves for a extremely...
- SPRCS: Full length of bar is 2200mm; Weighs 20KG; 28mm handgrip diameter; Sleeves are 2-inches in diameter; Center...
- VERSATILE: 500 pounds weight capacity; Great for weightlifting, powerlifting and Olympic lifting, this bar is perfect...
- Buy with Confidence: Each Barbell is carefully tested and straightened to create just the right amount of “whip” or...
- Specs - 110, 000 Psi tensile strength Japanese cold rolled steel; 15 Inch loadable sleeve length; The shaft length...
- Construction: Built from solid cold rolled steel with a black phosphate finish; Used for training, this bar measures...
- Features – The sleeves are designed with snap clips and the bar features medium depth diamond knurling for a secure...
- Durable: Original bar is made of steel, black oxide finish and polished steel sleeves; Color bars are ace coated in red,...
- Trust: Trust experience; CAP has been a pioneer in the fitness industry for over 30 years and has locations worldwide;...
Can you use Olympic weight plates on standard 1″ barbell?
You should not be using Olympic weight plates with the standard barbell, else you would be putting yourself under risk.
Loading 2 inches weight plate on a standard barbell will create the weight imbalance and destabilization.
There is a cheap solution, you can buy the adaptive sleeves from amazon that you can slide over the sleeve of your standard barbell to fit the Olympic plates.
- FITS OLYMPIC WEIGHT PLATES- The EX-10 converts 1" standard weight pegs to 2" Olympic weight plate posts, ensuring your...
- SAFE- Ensures your Olympic plates will not slide or shift during your workout or when used on a weight plate holder. Can...
- EASILY SECURED- This Olympic Adapter Sleeve features a hex bolt lock-down for long lasting performance and security to...
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION- The EX-10 is constructed of carbon steel for strength and durability. Measures 9" long with 8"...
- ADDITIONAL- Sold as an individual Olympic Adapter Sleeve. To ensure the EX-10 fits, the 1" standard peg must be at least...
Using adaptive sleeves is still a temporary solution.
What’s the best choice?
Do you still need help to make the final decision? Let me summarize it for you.
|Buying Factors||Best choice|
|Already have 1” weight plates?||Standard barbell|
|Narrow budget?||Standard barbell|
|Seasonal lifter?||Standard barbell|
|Experienced lifter?||Olympic barbell|
|Need a barbell for power rack?||Olympic barbell|
|Like high quality stuff?||Olympic barbell|
Thanks for reading. Questions welcomed in the comments as always.