Put 5 pictures in the article, including the one clicked at the gym.
One of the most common barbells available in every gym, EZ curl bar is definitly the most favorite tool to complete a good arms workout.
EZ curl bars are perfect to be worked in tight spaces as well. But how much do these barbells really weigh?
Is it important for you to know the weight you are lifting? That’s how the progressive overload works, right?
Problem is, most of the people aren’t really sure about the weight of the EZ curl bar they are lifting.
While most of the straight bars come in standard size and weight, many people are confused about the weight of the EZ curl bar they have been lifting.
The easiest way to know the weight of the EZ curl barbell?
Every gym has a weighing scale that can provide an accurate weight on the barbell you are using. But if weighing barbell on the scale is not an option for you then here is how to know the weight.
Problem is, unlike standard lifting bars, Curl bars are not available in the standard weight and size category. As you can see in the picture below, the hight of EZ curl bars may varies.
A normal EZ curl bar can weigh between 10-35 pounds.
How much does your bar weigh? Before we identify the weight, we need to know the different classification of EZ curl barbells and how they differ in size and weight.
Types of curl bars and their weight
The weight of EZ curl bars widely depends on the type of barbel. These bars can be broadly classified into three types-
- Standard Curl Bar
- Olympic Curl Bar
- Super Curl Bar
Let’s get into detail.
Standard curl bars
Standard curl bars were widely popular around a decade ago, you won’t usually find these in a commercial gym. Standard EZ curl bar does not include 2 inches sleeves to hold Olympic weight plates.
A standard curl bar is a simple chrome-plated stainless steel bar that has been molded into an EZ curl bar shape.
Standard curl bars are perfect for people looking for a lightweight barbell or if you have a set of standard 1-inch weight plates.
A standard EZ curl bar is about 120 cm or 47 inches long and weighs around 12 to 17 pounds.
Standard bars have a relatively low weight capacity and you will require old-school 1″ hole weight plates.
Olympic EZ Curl Bar
Don’t panic with the name, it’s not for the Olympic lifters only. The bar is called the “Olympic bar” because of the 2 inches sleeve diameter.
It’s the most common type of curl bar that can be found in almost every gym.
Olympic curl bars are relatively heavier (because of their extender sleeves) than the standard bars and are made with far better tensile strength.
An Olympic EZ curl bar can have a length of 48” to 54” and its weight can range between 18-25 pounds.
Olympic Barbells contains rotating sleeves that help in lifting heavy while reducing the torque created by weight plates. Rotation of sleeves actively assists in protecting lifter from a wrist injury.
Super Curl Bar
Super curl bars are just like an Olympic bar but with far deeper curls.
It’s designed for advanced lifters to provide better versatility and workout options.
Super curl bars also have spinning sleeves with 2” diameter. Super curls relatively heaviest in the category. A good quality super curl bar can weigh between 30-35 pounds.
Let’s recap the difference between Standard curl bar, Olympic EZ curl bar and Super curl barbells.
|Characteristics||Standard curl bar||Olympic bar||Super Curl Bar|
|Length||45-50 inches||45-55 inches||38-45 inches|
|Weight||10 lbs||15-20 lbs||18-24 lbs|
|Price||$20 approx||$40- $100||$50-$140|
|Sleeve Diameter||1 inch||2 inches||2 inches|
**Note: There is no standard length, weight, price, and diameter. This comparison table is based on the most commonly found barbells.
Buying Guide of an EZ Curl Bar
If you are looking to buy an EZ curl bar for the home gym then keep the following pointers in mind.
Already have a gym setup?
Are you someone looking to add a curl bar in your home/garage gym? Then your buying decision should depend on the type of weight plates you already have.
If you have a 2 inches lifting plate then an Olympic curl barbel is the best but if you have old fashioned 1” weight plates then you have no other option that standard curl bar.
Installing a new gym setup?
Standard 1” bars are becoming obsolete, choosing an Olympic EZ curl bar is a futuristic choice. Since most of the weight plates are manufactured for 2” barbells.
Olympic bars with spinning 2” sleeves work well for injury prevention and inertia support.
- The 2-inch sleeves used of the Olympic weights
- The 1-inch sleeves used for the regular size weights.
Quality of knurling greatly affects your lifting strength.
If you are planning to go heavy, then it’s recommended to choose a manufacturer that is offering superior quality of knurling.
There is no preferred angle in the curl bar, every vendor/manufacturer is providing a different angle.
How to know the best angle? That differs with everyone, it’s better to analyze different varieties before making the purchase.
You don’t really need to worry about the tensile strength until you can planning to deadlift with your EZ curl bar.
Most of the bar would easily support weight up to 200 pounds.
Curl bar vs regular bar
While we all love to workout with a curl bar, most of the people are not really aware of the difference between a curl bar and a regular bar.
Let’s get to know the benefits of the EZ Curl Bar over the Straight bar.
- Wrist protection: It has been scientifically proven, According to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute exercise scientists in New York, curl bars take the pressure off your wrists which allows the lifter to lift heavier. Arm curls typically target the biceps or upper arm muscles but can also work other muscles.
- Versatility: Depending on the way you hold the bar, it allows you to work on muscle isolation with ease.
Checkout amazon EZ curl bar bestsellers
- Made of solid steel with a chrome finish; Includes collars with t screw
- Bar length of 1200mm; 51,000 PSI tensile strength steel; 32 bar length between collars; Knurling on each side is 13 in...
- Diamond pattern knurled grips for comfort and security; Rotating sleeves to reduce pressure on hands and wrists;...
- Target the triceps, biceps, back and chest muscles using this curl bar and weight capacity: 200 pounds
- Trust experience; CAP has been a pioneer in the fitness industry for over 30 years and has locations worldwide; Chances...
- 1-Inch, curl bar
- For use with 1-Inch flat plates
- Standard 1" curl bar
- For use with 1" flat plates
- Rugged & Durable StructureOur bar is made of high-quality Q235 steel with cold forging and quenching technology, and the...
- Knurling & Curve DesignMade to facilitate for easy workout sessions, this workout bar features a cambered design....
- Sufficient Length & WeightThis bar is 47 long, weighs 44lbs, 28mm grip and has a maximum load capacity of 400lbs....
- Copper Sleeve & BearingThe use of 2PCS copper sleeves and 2PCS bearings increases the lubrication of the sleeve and...
- Wide Range of WorkoutsThe superior design of our Olympic bar allows for a wide variety of workouts such as bench...
- CONSTRUCTION Made of solid steel with a black powder coat finish; medium-depth diamond knurling for non-slip grip;...
- VERSATILE Target the biceps, triceps, back and chest muscles with this Super Curl Bar; Used for triceps extensions,...
- FEATURES Super angled shaft is designed to reduce discomfort when lifting weights; Revolving sleeves also help to...
- SPECS 1210mm length; Bar weighs 16. 75 pounds; 51, 000 PSI tensile strength steel; 33. 25 shaft length; Knurling of 6...
- TRUST Trust experience; CAP has been a pioneer in the fitness industry for over 30 years and has locations worldwide;...
10 Best EZ Curl Bar Exercises
Thanks for reading. Questions welcomed in the comments as always.