Last updated on June 8th, 2020 at 01:28 pm
Introduction to Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
Dhanurasana (Bow pose) got its name because you make your body pose like a Dhanush (bow), the abdomen and thigh represent the wooden part of bow whereat your arms and lower leg represents the bowstring. Dhanurasana is a yogic pose with multiple benefits like cutting down your belly fat, strengthens spine treating asthma, better digestion, and improves flexibility.
There is no contradiction to the fact that a stronger and flexible spine is a key to a healthy life, if your spine is not strong enough or if it is out of pasture then your body is more prone to an injury. Dhanurasana (Bow pose) is a great yogic pose to strengthen your spine and relax your body.
How Dhanurasana (Bow pose) works?
Dhanurasana is an ancient yogic pose that stretches your body from head to toe. The first impact that this pose creates on your body is improved flexibility, it stretches all the major muscle groups in your body. Dhanurasana (bow pose) helps in stretching the spinal cord and modulate the proper blood flow within the spine; it also helps in lubricating and lengthens the spine through its intense stretch.
Most of the people these days are suffering from multiple lifestyle diseases and bad posture is one of the most common problems due to long working hours. Dhanurasana helps in releasing stress from all muscle groups and flexes the ligaments and tendons for better functioning. This pose is one of the most common Hath Yoga poses that has multiple benefits which will be discussed in detail.
- Don’t try this asana if you have a heart problem.
- People suffering from high or low blood pressure should restrain from this yogic pose.
- Avoid this bow pose if you are suffering from a hernia.
- Don’t try this pose if you have serious back pain or injury.
Step By Step Practice
- Lie down on your stomach on the yoga mat, with your legs placed hips wide apart.
- Now fold your knees and gently put your hands beside your body.
- Hold your feet with your hands and inhale.
- Gently lift your legs and chest off the ground, forming a bow alike posture.
- Keep your head upward while maintaining breath.
- Maintain the posture for 10-15 seconds
- Slowly exhale, bring the knees to the floor and slowly bring your legs and arms on the floor.
Benefits of Dhanurasana (Bow pose):
- Fat loss: As you stretch your whole abdomen and oblique, this asana removes the fat buildup around your abdomen and belly area.
- Hormonal imbalance: This pose helps in curing the hormonal imbalance through stimulating the nervous system and helps in lowering down your stress hormone and releasing more endorphins and dopamine.
- Improved hip flexibility: This dhanurasana (Bow pose) reduces tightness in glutes hence making your hip joints more flexible.
- Feel more energetic: Regularly practicing dhanurasana (Bow pose) helps in lowering down the stress levels through more oxygen intake and better respiration. Lowered stress will results in feeling more energetic and release of testosterone.
- Enlightenment: Ancient Hindu tradition human body consists of 7 chakras and stimulating them is the way to experience enlightenment. Dhanurasana (Bow pose) helps in igniting those chakras to keep your body’s harmony in balance.
- Strengthens lungs: This pose helps in opening up the chest and allowing you to intake more oxygen, dhanurasana (Bow pose) has proven effects on better respiration and cardiovascular health.
- Strengthens spine: The human spine is made up of multiple small bones known as “vertebrates”, practicing dhanurasana (Bow pose) helps in stretching and allowing better blood flow within the spinal cord. The ultimate spine stretch also helps in better lubrication within vertebrates with the optimum regulation of spinal fluid.
- Faster Height Growth: Dhanurasana (Bow pose) helps in the lengthening of the spine through its full reverse stretch. Spine tends to compress with the growing age (that’s the reason why old people lose their height with their growing age). This yoga helps in maintaining the necessary space between the vertebrates.
- Better digestion: Dhanurasana (Bow pose) helps in giving a gentle massage to internal digestive organs which aid in better digestion and better absorption of nutrients.
- Cures Fatigue and Dizziness: Dhanurasana (Bow pose) is very useful in overcoming constant fatigue and dizziness, it works on stimulating the solar plexus at the navel region, which is a large sympathetic nervous system. These nerves act as a restorative agent of the nervous system and improve your overall body energy.
- Clears impure blood: Dhanurasana (Bow pose) helps in improving the efficiency of your kidney and liver; thus it helps in eliminating the impure blood from your body and helping your body work more efficiently.
- Improves heart health: When you perform dhanurasana (Bow pose) your abdomen stretches and pushes your diaphragm upward towards your heart. This process helps in massaging your heart and making it work more efficiently.
- Cures back pain: Dhanurasana (Bow pose) helps in stretching the abdomen, lower back, and hips. This pose also helps in stretching the joints, ligaments, and tendons of the lower back which helps in their rehabilitation and better health.
- Stretches whole upper body: This yogic pose helps in stretching the whole upper body, it works on arms, shoulders, chest, traps, lats, obliques, and lower back. Dhanurasana (Bow pose) is a perfect pose to be performed after long office hours as well, performing few repetitions will release the stiffness and stress of the whole body.
- Rehabilitates navel displacement: Navel displacement is a condition when your navel center shifts, this may results in issues in digestive symptoms, constipation and could certainly result in erectile dysfunction too. This dhanurasana (Bow pose) is a very beneficial pose for one suffering from navel dislocation.
Yoga is not just a process to achieve your fitness goals, it is a process to achieve a peaceful mind, feeling revitalized and improved performance. No yoga can be called a perfect yoga, every yoga pose has its own benefits and one should try to incorporate yoga-practicing on a daily basis for a better life.
- 21 Surya Namaskar Benefits, Step By Step Guide & Best Time To Perform.
- 15 Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) Benefits, Variations, Mistakes & Guide.
- 11 Benefits of Marjariasana (Cat pose) & Its step by step Guide
- 11 Benefits of Gomukhasana, Precautions & Step by step guide.
No products found.