Last updated on May 23rd, 2020 at 09:57 pm
It does not matter whether you are a pro or a beginner at cycling; strength training is of the utmost importance for you. Cycling for long hours is a repetitive exercise that excessively develops the quadriceps and glutes while the hip flexor muscles and hamstrings remain underdeveloped.
A robust and intense strength training program for cyclists works on striking a balance between the developments by the retention of muscle mass and correction of the imbalance.
Read on to find out more about strength training for cyclists and fundamental cycling tips of beginners.
Tips: Strength training for Cyclists
- Lunges are excellent for the improvement of physical strength that is needed for cycling for long periods.
- Lunges work on the development of quadriceps, hamstrings, and hips. Begin the training with bodyweight to get into a good form. Once you are comfortable with the training, you can practice lunges with kettlebells and dumbbells for additional weight and an increase in physical strength.
- Set an exercise goal with 15-30 lunges for every set to enhance the intensity of the exercise. You click play on the video right here to learn about the right ways to perform lunges for strength training.
- You can practice doing planks at any hour of the day for the development of core physical strength that is essential for cycling.
- Practicing planks every day helps in the development of abs, shoulders, and lower back region. Begin with a continuous plank for a minute for warm-up. Make sure that you stick to the appropriate techniques for working your way up to more intense planks.
- Begin to add more variations to the plank exercise for more rigorous strength training. Lift your legs slowly one at a time, or do a few side planks to make the exercise more challenging.
- If you aren’t feeling sure about techniques or if you lack motivation, then check out the detailed plank routines on the internet for more information.
- If cycling race is not in season, then squats can be excellent for you. Get rid of glutes and hip fat, and work on your quadriceps and hamstrings for building body strength and muscles.
- Practice squats with light weights and follows the right techniques because the wrong squats can hinder your progress in cycling.
- Plyometric jump exercise is incredibly beneficial for cyclists.
- It works on the development of powerful muscles by the combination of intense concentric and eccentric muscle movements in a short time.
Basic Cycling Tips For Beginners
Purchase the bike from a local and popular cycle store
- You may have to shell out a few hundred extras for buying the bike from a local store, but there are a host of benefits for you. The workers at the store will ensure that the bike is suited to your capabilities. They will set the bike and offer you free service for six months.
- If you are getting better deals online then visit the local store, get some test rides, understand the technicalities and then order it online.
- If you aren’t sure about the style of the bike, then try the endurance-focused bike that is highly convenient for beginners.
- If you are into cycle racing, then the aluminum racing bike like Specialized Allez or Cannondale CAAD12 are the best in the market.
Sign up for a comfortable ride
- Not only beginners but even advanced and experienced cyclists fall prey to uncomfortable glitches in the bike which affects performance. For some cyclists, the process of making the bike comfortable and adjusting it to his requirements is quite never-ending and tiring.
- Here is a useful guideline which you can adopt to maximize comfort and avoid accidents and injuries.
- Optimize the saddle height by positioning the heel at the endpoint of the pedal. Keep the legs straight, so that there is a little bending when you clip in. You need to bend your elbows slightly and adjust the reach in a way that the front wheel is no longer in you view beneath the handlebars while you ride on the tops.
Fix the puncture by yourself
- Fixing a tire puncture need not be a challenge for you. The workers at the bike store can teach you how to fix the flat tire.
- You can also ask your friend or consult videos on the internet to learn the techniques. Don’t let a flat tire deter you from your ambition of becoming the best cyclist in the world.
Invest your pocket money in a cycling kit
- Cycling is an expensive hobby, and it can turn into a terrifyingly exorbitant pastime if you start shelling out the big bucks for purchasing branded suits and shoes fit for Lance Armstrong. Invest in a cycling kit that is simple, handy, and affordable even for students.
- Here are a few items that will not burn a black hole in your wallet and will make your cycling experience comfortable and enjoyable too.
- Bike helmet
- Bike locks
- Cycling gloves
- Bike lamps
- Padded shorts for cycling, jersey, a layer of clothing for the base, and a good quality waterproof jacket
- Pedals and shoes
- Track pump for fixing cycle tires at home, and a miniature tire puncture repairing kit for fixing tires on the go.
Join a club or start one for cycling
- Joining a cycling club might not seem so encouraging for beginners, mainly because most club members tend to be rude and intimidating who know nothing better than pointing out mistakes to the beginners. But if you join a top cycling club, then you will be in for a host of rewards.
- The club members will welcome you wholeheartedly and encourage you to practice cycling every day. They will help you with the resolution of the issues you face during cycling, solve your technical and mechanical difficulties, and lead you along new and challenging cycling routes, and more.
Saddle discomfort is not to be tolerated
- If there is one thing that irks every cyclist for ages, then that is saddle discomfort. There is a wide assortment of saddle designs and styles, so take your time to make a choice.
- Pay attention to what your body needs and don’t compromise with your comforts. Somedays, you might be spending eight to ten hours daily on your cycle, so make sure that the ride is a comfy experience for you. Try out a few test rides before settling for a saddle of your choice to save money and buy the best seat for your trip.
- Padded cycle shorts and a dollop of chamois cream can also work wonders for the comfort.
Put the gears to good use
- If you are cycling across the hills, then the gears might get in your way. Don’t feel frustrated or start fighting against the gears. Shift the bike into a chainring and opt for a large rear cassette cog for the convenience of pedaling.
- But if you are cycling across flat regions, then opt for a large chainring and a small rear cog for smooth and rapid pedaling.
- Practice cycling along flat routes to make the shifting of gears natural and more comfortable for you. If you shift the bike into the wrong equipment, then you won’t move at all in spite of pedaling like a madman.
- The techniques of shifting to the correct gear can only be perfected through rigorous practice.
Make courage and confidence your wingmen while you ride
- Expert cyclist recommends riding the bike at least a meter away from the edge of the road to move around the potholes and other obstacles and thereby enhance reflex power and confidence in oneself.
- However, overconfidence can be a huge setback for you. Abide by the traffic rules and highway code for safety.
Practice the rudimentary techniques of cycling
- Learning the fundamental methods does not imply riding from zero to careering down the mountains at top speed, nor do you need to begin with learning the ropes. Being aware of all the necessary skills of cycling will boost your courage and confidence to a great extent.
- Don’t forget that the brake at the front is more effective at halting and practice feathering it gently along with the rear brake, instead of grabbing at the levers.
- While turning around a corner, slow down before hitting the bend, to prevent unnecessary braking. Lift your knees internally and exert your body weight on the outside to maintain the balance.
- While cycling towards a steep climb, keep pedaling as much as you can to gain momentum before the ascent and get off the saddle at regular intervals for a comfortable ride.
Flaunt rippling abs and a bombshell figure with daily and vigorous cycling. Become an unstoppable cyclist with fierce cycling practice along the most challenging routes coupled with intense strength training for cyclists.