What if I tell you about a bodybuilding supplement that won’t just give you better pump and endurance while workout but also has an incredible effect on your body’s healthier heart, better blood flow, body detoxification and many other benefits.
One reason why most people don’t reach their fitness goals because of the lack of proper knowledge about supplementation,
If you are the one struggling with post-exercise fatigue and low muscle pump while working hard in the gym then this Citrulline Malate is an ultimate solution to your problem. There are many health benefits of taking Citrulline Malate like a healthy heart, better metabolism, detoxification, performance booster, etc. we are going to cover each and everything about Citrulline Malate in detail.
What is Citrulline Malate?
What is Citrulline? Citrulline is a non-essential amino acid and is found abundantly in watermelon. It got all its attention due to its properties to delay intense exercise fatigue, which means you can train harder.
What is Malate? Malate comes from malic acid, which takes its work from Latin word “malum” meaning apple. Malate is a component of tricarboxylic acid cycle which may augment aerobic metabolism by reducing lactic acid production and continuing pyruvate production for the Krebs cycle
This is not a new supplement in the market, people from Europe are consuming Citrulline malate as a supplement to cure ‘Asthenia’ since a long time; asthenia is a condition when a person suffers from physical weakness or lack of energy.
How Citrulline Malate affect body
Citrulline is an amino acid which breakdowns into L Arginine, L Arginine helps in dilating the blood vessels and regulates the blood flow in the body.
Then why choose Citrulline over L Arginine? Because of its better dissolvability properties, better production of nitric oxide, better muscle pump and ATP recycling. Arginine is hard on stomach and digestion but on the contrary, Citrulline side-effects are far less.
Let get back to how Citrulline Malate affects your body:
- Citrulline breakdown into Arginine thus results in increased production of nitric oxide.
- Nitric oxide is responsible for dilation of blood vessels which results in better blood flow.
- Better blood flow helps in efficient transportation of essential nutrients.
- Better blood flow results in the better pump after a workout and muscle pump is essential to increase the muscle size and strength.
- Citrulline malate also helps in regulating Urea Cycle; ammonia is a toxic product of nitrogen metabolism which needs to be removed from the body.
- Urea Cycle converts excess ammonia into urea in the mitochondria of liver cells, this urea reaches kidney (for filtration) through the bloodstream and ultimately excreted from the body.
7 Benefits of Citrulline Malate
So we have gone through the basics of Citrulline Malate and how it affects your body. Now let’s discuss the benefits of consuming Citrulline Malate
#1 Boost Immune System
Citrulline malate contains high anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which results in the better removal of free radicals from the body. In combination with other vitamins and omega 3 supplementations, Citrulline Malate can work as a great supplement for stronger immune system.
This amino acid also has positive effects on working of the central nervous system. Nitric oxide acts as a neurotransmitter and is a component of signaling pathway between cerebral blood vessels, neurons, and glial cells.
An antioxidant property of Citrulline Malate helps in eliminating free radicals from body
#2 Healthier Heart
Citrulline metabolizes into Arginine which helps in dilation of blood vessels. Relaxed blood vessels help in better transportation of blood throughout the body.
A study suggests how dilated blood vessels help in the easy pumping of blood through clogged arteries and helps in better cardiovascular performance.
Citrulline malate is also suggested to angina patients, angina is a condition when patient experience shortness of breath. Angina occurs when a patient undergoes physical stress during a workout or any other regressive physical work.
3# Delayed Workout Fatigue
There are two reasons why Citrulline malate helps in delayed workout fatigue-
- Citrulline malate helps in dilating blood vessels, which help in better blood flow. Better blood flow helps in delivering more nutrients and oxygen to each and every muscle cell. This helps in increased performance.
- Second reason is its antioxidant properties. Muscle acidic level and soreness rise with the rise in muscle pH, thus resulting in early fatigue. Citrulline malate helps in efficient excretion of ammonia from the body. By accelerating ammonia clearance, Citrulline malate helps in regulating the muscle pH level.
- A different Study conducted on 22 trained male athletes proved how supplementing with Citrulline improved the cycling time of the athletes.
4# Regulating Blood Pressure
Due to the widening of blood vessels, it gets easier for the body to regulate right blood pressure. Citrulline malate helps in easing the ill effects for high blood pressure patients.
#5 Detoxifies Your System
Citrulline malate helps in eliminating the ammonia from blood as a detoxification process. Citrulline malate helps in regulating Urea Cycle.
The urea cycle is a system in leaver which helps in converting nitrogenous waste into urea and eliminating them from the body. Urea cycle plays important role in elimination of ammonia from the body. A large amount of ammonia leads to fatigue and body sourness and the excess amount can be proven fatal for athlete too.
Ammonia is also formed when bacteria of intestinal track break down protein, and presence of ammonia leads to poor athletic performance, which I am sure you don’t want to experience.
It is very important for the body to get rid of this ammonia waste from the body and Citrulline malate plays crucial parts in helping the body to excrete these toxins. A different study suggested how Arginine (produced after metabolization) plays its part in body detoxification.
#6 Aids In Weight Loss
Citrulline malate helps in reducing body weight through many ways:
- It helps body to produce more muscle, which ultimately leads to higher metabolism and better fat loss
- This supplement got an antioxidant property, which means your body will be able to get rid of toxic radicals more efficiently which also helps in weight loss.
- More endurance during a workout means burning the greater number of calories which leads to speedy weight loss.
- Citrulline malate supports higher testosterone level (human growth hormone), high testosterone leads fat loss and production of more muscle fibers.
- Study also reflects the same fact and shows how Arginine (derived after metabolization of Citrulline) helps in the better fat loss.
#7 Enhances Sexual Performance
Citrulline Malate can be a great replacement to other synthetic erectile dysfunction supplements.
#8 Enhances Muscle Growth & Better Vascularity
Your muscles are pumped with more testosterone (growth hormone), nutrients, amino acids and oxygenated red blood cells. This helps in better muscle growth.
As we have been discussing throughout this article that Citrulline malate helps in dilating the blood vessels, which means broader veins and more vascularity, check the study.
Citrulline Malate Side Effects
There is no reported major side-effect of Citrulline Malate.
Unlike direct oral dosage L-Arginine which is mostly hard on the stomach, Citrulline malate is well tolerated by the stomach. Only common side effect effects that people reported is gastrointestinal distress.
Gastrointestinal distress symptoms are heartburn, indigestion, bloating or constipation.
But this only side-effect can be avoided by consuming Citrulline malate empty stomach.
People with heart disease should avoid this supplement or can take it as prescribed by your doctors.
How to consume?
Citrulline Malate is always seen as a pre-workout supplement and should be taken 30-45 minutes before your workout routine.
Citrulline is abundantly found in ‘watermelon’ and malate is derived from ‘apple’. So you can either consume kg’s of both fruits to get your daily dose of it or you can opt for oral supplementations.
The human body is found to be very tolerant towards Citrulline malate and you can get the dose up to 15,000 mg per day, but optimum recommended serving size is 4-6 grams per day.
You can take oral supplementations of Citrulline Malate with simple water or fruit juice.
It’s advised to consume Citrulline Malate empty stomach to prevent stomach bloating or indigestion.
However you might want to check the tolerance of your body towards Citrulline, it’s advised to consume a dose of 2-3 grams for first few days then increase the amount of your dosage.
Citrulline malate is one of the best pre-workout supplement that you can add to your arsenal, Citrulline malate promises a range of benefits. Like:
- This supplement will help you get stronger.
- Will help in gaining muscle mass faster through rising testosterone levels.
- Better performance of cardiovascular system
- It will help in delaying port workout fatigue.
- Will help you cure erectile dysfunction too.
- Best pre-workout when combined with some caffeine.
Know more about Citrulline Malate through well-known fitness guru Jim Stoppani