Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) For Strength & Balance
9 Incredible Benefits Of Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) & Variations
Introduction To Chaturanga Dandasana
When We Are Aligned, Everything Can Flow, And Life And Yoga Become Effortless.
- Meaning: Chaturanga: Four-limbed, dandasana: staff pose
- Yoga Style: Vinyasa
- Duration: 30 Seconds
- Repetition: 5
- Strengthens: Arms, shoulders, back and core
- Preparatory Poses: Urdhvamukha shvanasana, Bhujangasana, Phalakasana
- Follow-up Pose: Adho mukha śvānāsana, Urdhvamukha shvanasana
Yoga is not just about breathing, stretching and balancing, it is also about gaining body strength and enhancing the capabilities of the human body. Chaturanga Dandasana is an incredible yoga pose to enhance the upper body strength.
Science Behind Its Working
As we have been discussing the science behind the effectiveness of every yoga pose that we wrote on this blog, but science is simple and much obvious for this Four-limbed Staff Pose. Many people include this yoga pose into their gym workout routine due to its strength benefits.
Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) is an awesome yoga pose that helps in the development of incredible whole body strength. While it might not be easy for many people in their first try, you should be reading our beginners guide to develop the required strength to master this pose.
While keeping your body straight around 5-6 inches above the ground level you are required to maintain the planking stance you are making your shoulders, trapezius and chest muscles do the majority of labor and you will be required to tighten your core, hence it helps in the development of some serious core strength.
This pose is something that requires tremendous synchronization between all the muscle group and improving the body’s coordination and posture.
How To Do It
- Start with the straight hand plank position or you can call it pre-pushup pose.
- Keep your wrist and shoulders aligned in a straight in a line and come on the balls of your feet.
- Grip your fingertips firmly on the ground and suck your belly to keep it tight.
- Retract your shoulder blades to prepare and support them for the amplified resistance when you bend your elbows and take your body closer to ground.
- Bring your gaze towards the floor and continue to lower yourself until your shoulders and elbows reach the same height.
- Make sure your spine, glutes and legs are in aligned straight in line without any curve.
- Maintain the posture for few seconds.
- Get yourself out of the pose with an exhale and lower down your belly or inhale and come on the top of your feet to get into Upward-Facing Dog Position.
Have a look at the video guide to perfect Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose)
Precautions And Contradictions
A person with lower back or shoulder injury should practice this pose under expert supervision.
Pregnant ladies should restrain themselves from practicing this pose because it might put intense pressure on the abdomen.
As a beginner, practicing Chaturanga dandasana can be quite challenging for you. Before performing this pose you need to strengthen your shoulders, chest and core muscles to stay in the position for a long time.
You can practice other yogic asanas like Sun Salutation, Downward-facing Dog, Upward Facing Dog and Palakasana to strengthen your upper body muscle groups and make yourself eligible for this pose. If you still want to practice this asana then you can place your knees on ground and practice. Later you can upgrade yourself by lifting your knees up and placing your toes on the ground.
Chaturanga dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) is a great yoga pose to cure many diseases from obesity to building more muscle power, let’s discuss all the benefits of Chaturanga dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) in detail.
1# Upper body strengthening:
Some might feel this pose is much similar to bodyweight weight training instead of a yoga pose, and yes they are not wrong as well. Chaturanga dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) helps in total upper body strengthening through providing enough resistance to the body while maintaining the posture.
2# Flexibility and stability:
Practicing yoga was always meant to improve body flexibility and through working on the whole posterior chain, Chaturanga dandasana also helps in improving the body’s mobility and flexibility.
3# Toned abdomen:
While the whole process of practicing this asana; you are required to keep your abdomen tight and in control. Additional to this, your core and abdomen are responsible for keeping your body straight and in control.
4# Stronger lower back:
Your lower back has got the responsibility to stabilize and support your body in order to maintain the pose. Few people might feel a little pain in their lower back, but don’t worry, its because you are making your lower back into work.
5# Better posture:
Bad posture is one of the most common modern lifestyle diseases, longs hours of working in the same position is making it difficult for people to maintain healthy body posture. Chaturanga dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) works on the whole posterior chain which helps in strengthening back and providing support for great posture.
A posterior chain is a group of muscles that are located at the posterior (back) of the body, the posterior chain includes- hamstrings, gluteus maximus, erector spine muscle group, trapezius, and posterior deltoids.
6# Increased metabolism:
Metabolism is a process of converting food into energy; greater metabolism means the greater conversion of food into energy. Chaturanga dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) works on your muscle chain from top to bottom to ensure the better metabolic rate and faster fat burn.
7# Stronger bone and healthy joints:
Chaturanga dandasana (Four-limbed staff pose) is found to stimulate the body to release Growth Hormone, this growth hormone helps your body to preserve stronger bones and healthy joints, these hormones also stimulate the muscle development as well.
8# Elevated mood:
One of the most common benefits of most of the yoga asana is they all elevate the practitioner’s mood, this happens due to rhythmic breathing pattern that is followed by yoga. Proper breathing helps in optimum oxygen supply and calming down anxious brain with its soothing properties.
With medicine ball: performing conventional Chaturanga dandasana too easy for you? Then try placing your toes on a medicine ball. This ball will add-up resistance because you will be required to balance your toes on the ball.
Level-Up your yoga experience with these yoga accessories.
Professional yogis are aware of the utility of these accessories but there is a large section of people who prefer to practice yoga at home. With the help of these affordable yoga accessories, you can level up your yoga expertise.
We personally shortlisted the best accessories that are affordable and encourage yoga. Let’s have a look at them.
- Walking Stick Press
- Brown, Christina (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 400 Pages - 05/29/2003 (Publication Date) - Walking Stick Press (Publisher)
- Fit for Most Mat Sizes: Crafted specifically to carry yoga mats in an Easy, Gender Neutral, Shoulder Strap Tote Bag...
- Multi-purpose: Whether you are looking for specialized yoga bags, carriers or just a simple gym bag, we’ve got...
- Two Pockets Design: ONE LARGE SIDE POCKET for Water Bottle, Towel and Sunglasses. And ONE SMALL INTERIOR ZIPPER POCKET...
- Quality and Durable Material: Made from high quality cotton canvas, this shoulder gym tote bag will accompany you for...
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: If you are not completely satisfied with our Yoga Mat Bag, we will do whatever it takes to...
- Package includes: 1/2" NBR Yoga Mat/ 2 Yoga Blocks/ 1 - 68”x24” Yoga Mat Towel/ 1 – 30”x20” Yoga Hand Towel/ 1...
- 1/2" ultra thick yoga mat with specially designed memory foam – Ribbed surface on one side with a smooth surface on...
- Provide support and balance with our durable foam yoga blocks and deepen your stretch with our 6.5ft yoga strap that...
- Our 68”x24” and 30”x20” yoga towels are designed with microfiber technology and prime absorption to provide...
- Great for yoga, pilates, stretching and toning workouts – 71" long 24" wide yoga mat ensures comfort for people of all...
- AUTHENTIC HAND HAMMERED 3.5” TIBETAN SINGING BOWL SET — This high-quality handcrafted meditation bowl set includes a...
- ENHANCES YOGA, MEDITATION, PRAYER, CHAKRA HEALING AND MINDSET — Ohm’s Tibetan singing bowls are used worldwide for...
- EASILY PLAY MESMERIZING TONES FOR HOLISTIC HEALING — Healing processes are initiated through entraining our brainwaves...
- IDEAL SIZE TO BRING ANYWHERE — This bowl set is compact and can easily travel with you everywhere. Bring to yoga...
- HAND INSPECTED AND TESTED FOR GUARANTEED PERFECT SOUND QUALITY — Ohm Store ensures it produces and sells only the...
Yoga was discovered to benefit the mind, body and soul of the practitioner. While some yoga poses concentrate on relaxing the mind and reducing the stress level, others concentrate on body strengthening and enhancing the overall performance of the body.
A person should have a combination of restorative poses and body strengthening poses in order to get the maximum benefits of yoga.