Last updated on June 8th, 2020 at 01:30 pm
What is Marjariasana (Cat Pose)?
Marjariasana is a word derived from two Sanskrit words Marjari means Cat and asana mean pose. This yogic pose is known as Cat Stretch as well.
Marjariasana (Cat Pose) is great yoga to stretch the spine and make it more flexible. This asana is combined with the eccentric and concentric movement of the spine which makes the proper circulation of spinal fluid and making the spine more elastic and flexible.
Marjariasana (Cat Pose) is a yogic pose that assists in the better movement of the spine and provides the well-deserving mobility to spine. Additionally, it also regulates internal organs and the digestive system to function properly. Marjariasana (Cat Pose) helps in releasing the tension from the lumbar spine through proper mobility of vertebrates.
- People with intense back pain should not perform this yogic pose.
- Pregnant women should not practice Marjariasana (Cat Pose).
- Make sure you practice this asana under certified yoga guru.
How to do it
- Start with positioning your body into a tabletop position on the flat surface
- Make sure your knees are directly below your hips and perpendicular to the ground. And your wrist, elbows, and shoulders should be in a line while being perpendicular to the floor.
- Your back and hand should be straight positioning parallel to the floor.
- Now contract your core and exhale while pushing your spine towards the ceiling and bend your neck downwards to keep the body’s natural posture.
- Make sure that your knees and hands don’t move and stay in the original starting position.
- Hold the breath for 5-10 seconds
- Now bring your body into the starting position while inhaling.
- Practice this Marjariasana (Cat Pose) 6-8 times every day.
- You can also include cow pose with cat pose for enhanced benefits.
Video demonstration of Marjariasana (Cat Pose)
Benefits of Marjariasana
- Added flexibility- Marjariasana (Cat Pose) definitely helps you with the added flexibility through flexing and extending your back muscles in both the direction. Stiff back leads to many problems like posture disorder and lack of flexibility may increase the chances of any spinal injury.
- Stronger spine- It helps in regulating the proper circulation of spinal fluid which helps in better mobility. With better mobility, you are ultimately leading your spine towards its stronger version. The human spine is consisting of 33 vertebrates and with proper lubrication and mobility, you can increase the strength of your spine.
- Better digestion- Marjariasana (Cat Pose) also helps in massaging the digestive organs which helps in better functioning and proper removal of waste. Better digestion is linked to many benefits like better nutrition absorption, detoxification, fat loss, and increased metabolism.
- Improved blood circulation- the main function of blood is: transportation, protection, and regulation.
Transportation: blood helps in transporting oxygen and essential nutrients throughout the body.
Protection: It helps in fighting microorganisms and cancer cells.
Regulation: it helps in regulating the water level and PH level of the body.
Through tight muscle tissues and tight vertebrates, you are actually causing inefficient blood circulation towards your back which is definitely not a good idea. Marjariasana (Cat Pose) helps in the proper stretching of muscles and vertebrates for better blood flow.
- Helps in height growth- I have been asking my clients to practice yoga for increased height growth for decades. Reason? Most of the yogic poses involve stretching of the spine, better respiration, and enhanced blood flow. Marjariasana (Cat Pose) is a pose that makes your spine free from any stiffness results in helping you to grow taller.
- Stretches your scapula: one of the greatest benefits that most of the people ignore is the effect of Marjariasana (Cat Pose) on the scapula. The scapula is primarily responsible for the proper shoulders mobility and it is responsible for attaching your arms with the thorax. While doing the flexion and extension of the spine, Marjariasana (Cat Pose) will help in enhancing the mobility of shoulders as well. Flexible shoulders will help you with preventing any future shoulder injury.
- Relaxed mind: every yogic pose consists of a series of rhythmic breathing, this breathing pattern doesn’t just elevate your mood with will also help you with better sleep.
- Toned abdominal: while you are flexing your spine to go in the upward direction you are contracting your core and abdominal muscles as well. Constant practice of Marjariasana (Cat Pose) will lead to toned core muscle and will disappear your belly fat.
- Relieves a backache: most common reason for a backache is its stiffness and lack of flexibility, with the improved mobility through Marjariasana (Cat Pose) you can relieve your sore lower back muscles.
- Improved posture: one of the most common symptoms of lifestyle disease is bad posture, through long hours sitting at the same place people are losing their natural posture. Marjariasana (Cat Pose) helps in stabilizing and stretching the vertebrates which lead to better posture.
- 15 Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) Benefits, Variations, Mistakes & Guide.
- 11 Benefits of Gomukhasana, Precautions & Step by step guide.
- 21 Surya Namaskar Benefits, Step By Step Guide & Best Time To Perform.
- 21 Vajrasana Benefits, Step By Step Guide and Precautions
- Try Parvatasana For Increased Hight and Fat Loss.