Last updated on October 9th, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Although most of the people are so obsessed with the heavy-duty barbells, we must not skip the section of people who are not eligible enough to train with heavy Olympic barbells.
Recently, one of my clients gave birth to a baby and after the recommended rest she was looking to resume training sessions. Because of her struggle with the heavy barbells, I suggested her to choose the lighter barbell for the workout.
If you are a woman, fitness noob, senior or a kid; if 45 lbs barbell is too heavy for you to train then this is the perfect article for you. Ahead in this article, we are going to give you the right tips about choosing a lighter barbell for a home gym, additionally, we are also going to talk about the other options to stay fit.
How to pick the lighter barbell?
Every person has a different requirement, while most of the lifters prefer heavy Olympic barbells, there are few companies who are working hard to fulfill the requirement of lifters with low strength levels.
Let’s have a look at the light-weighted barbells to choose from.
Standard 1” barbell
One of the best and cheapest solution to get a light barbell is to go old-school style.
You don’t commonly see standard 1” barbells at commercial gyms because of their incompatibility with the Olympic weight plates.
While modern barbells contain 2” spinning sleeves, standard 1” barbell are constructed from solid chromed steel bar with threaded ends.
You might not find these barbells at the gym, but if you are planning to workout at home then buying a standard 1” barbells can be a reliable and cost-effective solution.
The weight of these barbells can vary between 8lbs to 20lbs, depending on the length of the bar.
- Utility: Can be used for light or moderate weight lifting
- Length: You can find a barbell with a length between 3ft to 7ft.
- Diameter: These bars are built with a 1-inch solid steel bar.
- Weight: Can range between 8 lbs to 20lbs.
- Strength & Load Capacity: 200 to 400 lbs of load capacity.
We shortlisted the top-selling standard 1” bar for you.
- SPECS – 60” x 1.3” x 1.3”; 14 pounds
- CONSTRUCTION – Solid steel bar with chromed finish and threaded ends.
- FEATURES – This bar has a recommended weight capacity of 250 lbs.
- TRUST – Trust experience. CAP has been a pioneer in the fitness industry for over 30 years and has locations...
For those who are looking for a super-light barbell with 2” spinning sleeves. Aluminum is a super-light metal that weighs 40% lighter than steel.
While most of the good gyms already offer an aluminum barbell for their clients, but if they don’t, then you can carry it with yourself.
Despite being lightweight, these are heavy-duty barbells that can withstand the load of up to 300lbs. These bars will fit in your power rack perfectly well and will weight around 15lbs only.
We shortlisted the top-selling Aluminum barbell for you, check out on Amazon.
- Utility: Lighter barbell for seniors, women, and kids.
- Length: 6ft
- Diameter: 28mm
- Weight: 15lbs
- Strength & Load Capacity: 200lbs
- 28mm diameter, dual knurl markings, 6 ft long
- Bushings for smooth spin
- Bright zinc on shaft, black zinc on sleeves
- 200 lb max capacity
- 1 year warranty
You can also find a junior version of aluminum bars that weigh around 5lbs only, these are developed for the kids but can be used by women or elderlies as well.
Women’s Olympic bars
These are slightly lighter barbell than standard Olympic lifting bars.
Why are these named women’s Olympic bars? Do women needs specially crafted bar for lifting? No, all women do not need special bars.
Women’s Olympic bars are built with a smaller circumference, which means the diameter of the barbell’s shaft is a little smaller.
While the standard Olympic barbell has a diameter of 28mm, the grip section of Women’s barbell is 25 millimeters (1.1 in) in diameter. It is 10% less in diameter.
Does that 10% really make a difference? Definitely! Especially when you have small hands.
Women’s Olympic barbells are 5kg lighter as well, they are all exactly 15kg / 33 lb.
- Utility: Better grip for the lifter with small hands
- Length: Regular Olympic size 7.2 ft long.
- Diameter: 25mm
- Weight: 15kg
- Strength & Load Capacity: 1500 lb weight capacity
- ★ SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION ★ – Our Synergee Games Bar is built to handle your toughest workouts. From Olympic lifting...
- ★ FITTER, FASTER, STRONGER ★ - With a loadable sleeve length of 16.4 inches (20 kg) and 13 inches (15 KG), our...
- ★ CERAKOTE FINISH ★ – Our steel bar is finished with a Cerakote coating: you’ll look tired at the end of your...
- ★ WHAT’S IN THE PACKAGE ★ – This bar is a Pink, 15 KG Barbell. It is 79.13 inches long, has 13 inch loadable...
- ★ NO SWEAT GUARANTEE ★ – Leave the sweating and swearing for your training! Buying from Synergee means quick,...
Hollow standard bars
These are the lightest barbells you can get your hands on. These are steel tubes fabricated & chrome-plated with knurling.
The weight of the bar can vary between 2-5 pounds and these bars are not constructed to withstand heavy loads.
These bars are good to achieve a better range of motion before you progress on to heavyweights. I personally suggest these barbels for injury rehabilitation, seniors or young kids only.
Some people are also using hollow bars for body pumps.
- Utility: Lightweight for club pump set or mobility work.
- Length: 4-5 ft long
- Diameter: 1 inch
- Weight: 2 lbs
- Strength & Load Capacity: It’s hollow, so I wouldn’t load it with weight plates.
- Bars are 1" x 51" hollow bars with 1" spring collars
- Lightweight for club pump set
- Fabricated w/ thick gauge steel tube & chrome plated w/ knurling
- 1" quick collar w/ rubber pad for the easy loading/unloading of 1"-1.125" hole weight plates.
- NO shipping to Alaska, Hawaii,PR, PO Boxes and APO/FPO addresses
Workout Bar for Rehab, Aerobics and Yoga
These are perfect bars to add resistance to any fitness activity. These workouts bars are trending because of their interesting design and utility.
Technically, these are not barbells since they don’t allow you to add any additional weights.
You can find a workout bar in a different weight range between 10lbs to 30lbs and these make a perfect lightweight home workout tool.
I have seen these bars used by physiotherapists and professional fitness trainers for muscle strengthening.
- Utility: Rehab, Aerobics, and Yoga
- Length: 4 ft
- Weight: 10 lbs to 30 lbs
- Strength & Load Capacity: N/A
- 48-INCH LENGTH HEAVY-DUTY STEEL CORE CONSTRUCTION: Made of solid high-quality steel for added toughness, durability, and...
- DURABLE HIGH-DENSITY PADDED FOAM SURFACE: Constructed of untearable and breathable padded soft foam surface to increase...
- COLOR-CODED ANTI-ROLL END CAP: Specially designed with TPR plastic anti-roll end cap to prevent rolling or sliding away...
- LOSE WEIGHT & TONE MUSCLES IN MINUTES: Exercising with Yes4All Weighted Bars help you burn more calories, strengthen...
- Our weighted workout bars can be used during circuit and interval classes, kickboxing and martial arts, weightlifting,...
Let’s recap the weights
|Standard 1” bar|
8 lbs to 20lbs
|Old school but still versatile|
|Aluminum bar||15 lbs||Lightbar for women and seniors|
|Women’s Olympic Bar||33lbs||Women who love powerlifting|
|Hollow Standard Bar||2lbs||For the rehab and improve range of motion|
|Weighted bar||10lbs to 30 lbs||Aerobics and yoga|
Workout without barbell
Barbells are not the only solution to muscle strengthening, you can use other methods to gain basic strength before you progress towards workouts with a barbell.
Barbells are reign supreme for the big lifts, but when it comes to lightweight workout, dumbells can always do better work.
Dumbells are available in a wide range of variety, if you can’t find a lighter barbell then dumbbells can be the healthier option.
The range of dumbells starts from 1 lb to 200 lbs.
Can’t find a right barbell, no worries, get a set of resistance bands!
For me, resistance bands are the perfect solution to muscle strengthening. Don’t know how to work out with resistance bands? Hundreds of online instructors are teaching to workout with the bands.
Resistance bands are cheap and can be used to target every muscle in the body.
TRx is one of the most versatile solutions to personal fitness. Whether you are a navy seal or a complete beginner, TRX can help you.
TRX system was primarily designed by a navy seal that was looking to find a portable and minimalistic system to workout while being deployed at the war-torn region.
TRX also comes with the workout guide that teaches you to strengthen the full body with a single tool.
Thanks for reading. Questions welcomed in the comments as always.