Yoga is not just a workout, Its about working on yourself.
Introduction to Balasana (Child’s pose)
- Meaning: Bala: Child & Asana: Pose
- Yoga Style: Vinyasa
- Duration: 30-60 Seconds
- Repetition: none
- Strengthens: Arms, legs, back and groin area
- Preparatory Poses: Virasana
- Follow-up Pose: Adho mukha śvānāsana
The name of yoga Balasana is derived from the Sanskrit work, ‘Bala’ = ‘child’ and ‘asana’ = pose. This yoga got its name due to the resemblance of a posture of baby in fetal position.
As a part of Virasana yoga style, Balasana (Child’s pose) act as a restorative pose that helps in calming down the stress and revitalize you with the sense of new energy.
Science Behind Balasana (Child’s pose)
Balasana is named after its resemblance to the baby in fetal position, and it is said to provide physical and emotional comfort to the practitioner.
It is categorized within the restorative yoga style because of its basic characteristics and elements. Due to the fetus like posture, it takes you back in time to experience the sense of calm, stress-free and energy in mind and body.
This yoga also helps in addressing and stretching vital parts of the body that can help you deepen your connection with Balasana (Child’s pose). Balasana helps is stretching your spine which relieves the stress and stiffness after long working hours, it also helps in calming down the stiffness from neck and shoulders which gives you more relaxed feeling.
Balasana is very efficient in stretching the hip and knee joints, it is very effective in reliving the stress from ligaments and tendons of hip and knees.
Step By Step Guide
- Begin with kneeling on the floor
- Bring your knees and feet together
- Sit on your heels and slowly move forward, bringing your chest to your thing and your forehead to the earth.
- Lay your hands on the floor alongside of your torso. Or you can also place your hands straight in front of your head to avoid too much pressure on your neck.
- Loosen up your shoulder blades and let allow the fronts on your shoulders move towards the floor. Close your eyes steady your breathing and allow for the deeper level of relaxation
- Take several slow breaths and rest for few minutes in child’s pose.
You can also practice this yoga with a partner while helping in providing gentle back massage as well, refer to the video below.
No doubt that it is a beginner level yoga pose but still some people might experience some difficulty while performing this yoga due to stiffness in their spine, hip joints and ankle.
Beginners should begin practicing this yoga after practicing some preparatory poses like Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend) and Virasana (Hero Pose).
Benefits of Balasana (Child’s pose)
Let’s talk about the benefits of this incredible pose, and the scientific reason behind those benefits.
If you are struggling with the immense workload and stressful lifestyle then you should definitely include Balasana (Child’s pose) and Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclined Bound Angle Pose). This pose will help in regulating the blood pressure and are proven to be very effective in lowering the stress levels.
I personally like to practice these pose two time in a day, I do these pose before and after work hours to keep the stress away.
Flexible Posterior Chain:
This yoga pose is very efficient in stretching the spine and releasing the tension off it.
Cures Fatigue And Dizziness:
Balasana helps in regulating blood flow and better circulation which helps in eliminating daily stress which is a common cause of fatigue. Its restorative benefits of this pose help in improving mood, restoring the energy level.
If you are someone who is looking to add-up few inches in your height then you should definitely practice this yoga move, practicing balasana helps in stretching the spine and removes the stiffness between vertebrates. Flexibility between vertebra improves the possibilities of better growth of height.
Massages Internal Organs:
Balasana (Child’s pose) has some additional benefits on your internal organs located at your abdomen. Practicing balasana helps in gently massaging organs like kidney, gallbladder, pancreas, intestine, etc. this gentle massage helps in stimulating them for better functioning.
Better Blood Circulation:
Balasana is a part of Vinyasa style of yoga, Vinyasa yoga style can be defined as performing yoga movements with coordinated breathing patterns. Performing yoga with coordinated breathing promotes better blood flow, relieving stress and better oxygen supply to all parts of the body.
Stretches Ankle, Glutes & Thigh:
Apart from stretching the whole spine, it also helps in stretching and strengthening hip joints, glutes, thigh and ankles.
Great For Yoga Beginners:
Balasana is one of those yogic poses that can be performed by anyone no matter what their age is. Although there are some precautionary measures that need to be taken care of. But if you just started practicing yoga then you should definitely implement this pose for its mental, physical and spiritual benefits.
You can also go for the Extended Child’s Pose
Same like any other exercising technique it’s important to practice different yoga pastures in the correct sequence, always refer to the preparatory pose and the follow-up poses to have the idea about the correct sequence.
- Walking Stick Press
- Brown, Christina (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 400 Pages - 05/29/2003 (Publication Date) - Krause Publications (Publisher)
- Fit for Most Mat Sizes: Crafted specifically to carry yoga mats in an Easy, Gender Neutral, Shoulder Strap Tote Bag...
- Multi-purpose: Whether you are looking for specialized yoga bags, carriers or just a simple gym bag, we’ve got...
- Two Pockets Design: ONE LARGE SIDE POCKET for Water Bottle, Towel and Sunglasses. And ONE SMALL INTERIOR ZIPPER POCKET...
- Quality and Durable Material: Made from high quality cotton canvas, this shoulder gym tote bag will accompany you for...
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: If you are not completely satisfied with our Yoga Mat Bag, we will do whatever it takes to...
- Package includes: 1/2" NBR Yoga Mat/ 2 Yoga Blocks/ 1 - 68”x24” Yoga Mat Towel/ 1 – 30”x20” Yoga Hand Towel/ 1...
- 1/2" ultra thick yoga mat with specially designed memory foam – Ribbed surface on one side with a smooth surface on...
- Provide support and balance with our durable foam yoga blocks and deepen your stretch with our 6.5ft yoga strap that...
- Our 68”x24” and 30”x20” yoga towels are designed with microfiber technology and prime absorption to provide...
- Great for yoga, pilates, stretching and toning workouts – 71" long 24" wide yoga mat ensures comfort for people of all...
- AUTHENTIC HAND HAMMERED 3.5” TIBETAN SINGING BOWL SET — This high-quality handcrafted meditation bowl set includes a...
- ENHANCES YOGA, MEDITATION, PRAYER, CHAKRA HEALING AND MINDSET — Ohm’s Tibetan singing bowls are used worldwide for...
- EASILY PLAY MESMERIZING TONES FOR HOLISTIC HEALING — Healing processes are initiated through entraining our brainwaves...
- IDEAL SIZE TO BRING ANYWHERE — This bowl set is compact and can easily travel with you everywhere. Bring to yoga...
- HAND INSPECTED AND TESTED FOR GUARANTEED PERFECT SOUND QUALITY — Ohm Store ensures it produces and sells only the...