Last updated on September 22nd, 2019 at 11:43 am
Stress has become more of an epidemic for the last few decades. With technological advancement, we lost connection and balance between our mind, body, and soul or spirit if you want to call it that.
Yes, we read about stress, talk about that over a cup of coffee but never decide to do anything to get rid of stress. But through a few simple steps, we can leave a stress-free life. The best thing to do that is to start practicing yoga.
Yoga is not a trend or something new in the market, and it is more ancient than you know. It is the wisdom of our ancestors. So let’s talk about how yoga poses can help to get relief from stress.
How To Do Yoga For Beginners
Starting anything new as a beginner can be a bit intimidating. But there is nothing to be panicked. Yoga is a solution, not a problem. But what is yoga? Yoga is an exercise that includes specific movements, breathing, and regulations.
According to experiences of practitioners and a few studies, yoga helps us to manage stress, get rid of depression, betters our mood, increases the blood flow, uplift our spirit and makes us more flexible.
The first few yoga session may feel overwhelming, but you will become used to it with time. Generally, a yoga session starts with a breathing exercise and can continue for 45 minutes a session. Then you will be instructed to do some warm-ups and then to yoga poses. It can end with meditations or relaxing yoga pose.
A Few Basics About Yoga
The first thing you need to understand; you cannot learn yoga through theories. If you really need to learn it, then you have to do it. But if you are too shy to join a class, you can start the initial stages from online courses as well.
Well, we are not theory haters. That is why we are feeling great to share some basics about yoga. Read on to know the types of yoga.
How Many Types of Yoga are there?
Hatha yoga classes are believed to be suitable for newbies because they are not that much intimidating or complicated.
Ashtanga, Vinyasa, and power yoga courses are a bit stimulating. The instructor usually levels up as you become more efficient in it.
Hot yoga is a type of yoga which can be practiced in a warm or steaming environment. Most of the studios keep their temperature at 105 degrees F to create the ideal temperature.
Kundalini yoga is considered as a healing yoga. Kundalini yoga can be associated with chants and meditation as well. For stress management, Kundalini yoga is the most effective one.
What Should You Maintain Before Doing Yoga?
You should not practice yoga with a full belly. It is always better to do yoga with an empty stomach. Experts also say that clearing bowel is ideal before doing yoga. That is why people tend to do yoga in the morning.
Consider Taking Shower
Bathing is not about cleansing only; it also helps us feel cooled down. Yoga or any exercise usually increases our body temperature. If you start doing yoga with already a heated body, you may feel burn out soon. So try to take a shower before yoga. You will also feel a lot more relaxed.
Wear comfortable clothes
Feeling comfortable while practicing yoga is very important. And feeling comfortable is directly linked with soft and breathable clothes. So always go for cotton and loose-fitting clothes.
How does yoga help with stress?
Yoga is balancing your mind and body. That makes yoga different from any other exercises. It is like disciplining both your mind and your body. But yoga is especially beneficial for stress management.
Yoga includes controlled breathing. According to the philosophy and science behind yoga, adjusting the rhythm of breathing can help you quiet your mind.
In yoga, you may include mindfulness or meditation or relaxation. Meditation helps you notice the sensation in your body and mind while doing yoga.
Yoga and Stress
Yoga relaxes the body
The mind is related to your body. If your body is not in a relaxed mode, you cannot expect to have a relaxed mind altogether. A few postures have an intensely comforting result on the whole system.
Yoga relaxes your mind
Meditation is an integral part of yoga, which helps us to slow down our mind. It increases our mindfulness and allows us to reflect on our thoughts. We can consciously control our reaction to stress through regular meditation practice.
Harmonizing the Mind and Body
While the mind and body are in harmony, we can automatically feel the sense of calmness. The body and mind are wired in a way that any imbalance can affect each other.
Understanding the way Mind Works.
To remove stress, we need to understand the way mind works. If we allow our brain to run in an auto-pilot mode, it will never make any conscious effort to calm down to itself.
Yoga can help us grow mindfulness about the mind’s turns and twists. We become aware of our thoughts and the way external factors affect our internal calmness. Through this awareness, we can try to control the way mind responses to stress.
Releasing Emotional Energy
Emotions are energy. If we accumulate a lot of negative energies like anger, fear, and guilt, they can make us feel stressed. So we need to release them. Yoga helps us to do that. Through concentrating all our energies in a conscious effort like yoga, we eliminate all those negativities.
Yoga Poses for Stress Relief
Sukhasana or Easy Pose
Easy Pose or Sukhasana has some countless benefits apart from relieving from stress. It also makes you calm from inside and let you feel grounded. Remember you need to do this pose for at least 60 seconds. This yoga pose also eliminates mental exhaustion and anxiety.
Marjaryasana or Cat Pose
Marjarasana pose gently massage your belly and spine apart from making you feel free of stress. Usually, practitioners pair cat pose with cow pose.
Usually, people practice cat pose in combination with the cow pose. So let’s talk about cow pose now.
Bitilasana or Cow Pose
Cow Pose is a gentle and feel-good sort of yoga pose. It not only make you feel better also you will feel relaxed. Stand on your knees and then bend forward to touch the floor with both your palms. Now you need to cross between Cat pose and Cow pose. For cow pose your abdomen will be squeezed and during cat pose it will be stretched.
Paschimottanasana or Seated Forward Bend
Paschimottanasana or seated forward bend is an ideal asana to work on your distracted mind. This pose has several benefits and can significantly eliminate stress. You need to seat with your legs stretched in front of you in a flexed position. Then try bending forward slowly until your forehead touches your knees. It can feel challenging because it stretches your spine. But gradually there will be no gap between your legs and abdomen. While doing this asana, you need to hold your toe with your hand.
Janu Sirsasana or Head-to-Knee Forward Bend
Janu Sirsasana is a spine twisting pose. This pose calms the mind and help you to feel less anxious and fatigue. If you are suffering from insomnia or headache, then it can be helpful for you.
Balasana or Child’s Pose
Child’s Pose or Balasana is a perfect equalizing pose. Start with sitting on your knees and gradually bend forward with arms by your side or forward. Rest your temple on the floor, but do not force yourself. This pose is meant to make you feel relaxed.
Savasana or Corpse Pose
Savasana is an ultimate pose for relaxation, but it is one of the most exciting asanas. In Sanskrit, the word Shava means ‘corpse.’ You need to lie down on your back and have to remain still like a corpse. It is kind of a pause you give to your entire system. You can be in this pose for 5 minutes if you wish. This pose is beneficial for your nervous system and your overall mental health.
No one loves to make stress a permanent part of their life. It disrupts our mental peace, ruins our health and relationships as well. If you are stressed, then you will not feel the urge to spend some good time with anyone in the world because you are not in a Mood!
And that depressing and negative mood prevails all the time. People can start considering you as proud, unsocial, introvert, or an arrogant person which you are not.
So stop thinking about stress and do some yoga to eliminate stress from your life. Yoga is not a quick fix. But through consistency and regularity, you will reach the point when you do not need anyone to tell you that you have become calm. You will be able to feel that yourself.
- 9 Basic Yoga Poses And Their Benefits.
- Calming Yoga Poses For Stress And Anxiety.
- Balasana (Child’s pose) An Incredible Restorative Pose With Multiple Benefits
- What Is Hot Yoga Good For? Basic Bikram Yoga Poses
- 9 Benefits Of Hot Yoga Vs Regular Yoga.
- Walking Stick Press
- Brown, Christina (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 400 Pages - 05/29/2003 (Publication Date) - Krause Publications (Publisher)
- Fit for Most Mat Sizes: Crafted specifically to carry yoga mats in an Easy, Gender Neutral, Shoulder Strap Tote Bag...
- Multi-purpose: Whether you are looking for specialized yoga bags, carriers or just a simple gym bag, we’ve got...
- Two Pockets Design: ONE LARGE SIDE POCKET for Water Bottle, Towel and Sunglasses. And ONE SMALL INTERIOR ZIPPER POCKET...
- Quality and Durable Material: Made from high quality cotton canvas, this shoulder gym tote bag will accompany you for...
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: If you are not completely satisfied with our Yoga Mat Bag, we will do whatever it takes to...
- Package includes: 1/2" NBR Yoga Mat/ 2 Yoga Blocks/ 1 - 68”x24” Yoga Mat Towel/ 1 – 30”x20” Yoga Hand Towel/ 1...
- 1/2" ultra thick yoga mat with specially designed memory foam – Ribbed surface on one side with a smooth surface on...
- Provide support and balance with our durable foam yoga blocks and deepen your stretch with our 6.5ft yoga strap that...
- Our 68”x24” and 30”x20” yoga towels are designed with microfiber technology and prime absorption to provide...
- Great for yoga, pilates, stretching and toning workouts – 71" long 24" wide yoga mat ensures comfort for people of all...
- AUTHENTIC HAND HAMMERED 3.5” TIBETAN SINGING BOWL SET — This high-quality handcrafted meditation bowl set includes a...
- ENHANCES YOGA, MEDITATION, PRAYER, CHAKRA HEALING AND MINDSET — Ohm’s Tibetan singing bowls are used worldwide for...
- EASILY PLAY MESMERIZING TONES FOR HOLISTIC HEALING — Healing processes are initiated through entraining our brainwaves...
- IDEAL SIZE TO BRING ANYWHERE — This bowl set is compact and can easily travel with you everywhere. Bring to yoga...
- HAND INSPECTED AND TESTED FOR GUARANTEED PERFECT SOUND QUALITY — Ohm Store ensures it produces and sells only the...