Gomukhasana is one of the most common yogic pose practiced by people all over the world. The name gomukhasana is derived from the Sanskrit word Go-Cow, Mukh- Face and asan mean the pose. Gomukhasana is also known as Cow Face Pose.
This single pose can help in curing many diseases like arthritis, stiff shoulders, spine problems, etc. This pose got its name because of the resemblance of our body with a cow face, our parted legs resemble cow’s lips while hands place up and down look like a cow’s ears. Although let’s not get deeper into the theory of “origin of its name” and let’s concentrate on the benefits you can enjoy while practicing this incredible yogic asana.
Precaution and preventions
- While practicing gomukhasana practitioner should be clear about the hand placement, make sure whichever leg you place on the top the same side arm should be placed in the lower position.
- People suffering from serious shoulders, neck and knee injuries should avoid this yoga.
- If you have tight shoulders and find yourself unable to touch your fingers, then you can opt to use a strap or a scale as a mediator between your fingers. Now try to make daily progress to lower the distance between your fingers.
- People suffering from frozen shoulder ailment should perform this yogic practice after consultation with their doctor.
Step by Step Guide for Gomukhasana
- Sit straight on the ground with legs extended in front of you.
- Now gently bend your left leg and place it under your right buttock
- Fold your right leg and place it over your left thigh.
- Place both your knees close together.
- At this level, you will be able to feel a nice stretch in your lower body and gomukhasana is great asana for Hip joint opening and stretching thigh muscles.
- Gently fold your left arm and place it behind your back
- Keep your body straight, chest up and bend your body slightly backward.
- Take your right arm over your right shoulders to reach the left hand. You might find it difficult to touch both hands that are because of lack of mobility.
- Now you should be able to feel a nice stretch at your shoulders, arms, trapezius, pectorals (chest muscles)
- Beginners try to hold this pose for between 10-30 seconds.
- Keep breathing slowly; concentrating on breathing with the help you lower your stress level.
It is suggested that one should maintain the posture for 30-60 second while breathing slowly with constant pace, if you can’t maintain a moderate breathing speed then don’t worry; you will be able to do that after some practice. Slow breathing is the factor which aid in relieving stress and anxiety.
Level-Up your yoga experience with these yoga accessories.
Professional yogis are aware of the utility of these accessories but there is a large section of people who prefer to practice yoga at home. With the help of these affordable yoga accessories, you can level up your yoga expertise.
We personally shortlisted the best accessories that are affordable and encourage yoga. Let’s have a look at them.
[wpsm_comparison_table id=”4″ class=””]
Benefits of Gomukhasana
1# Relieves Stress And Anxiety: Yoga is always performed for its two benefits: physical and mental. Rhythmic breathing pattern followed in most yoga practice provides many mental benefits. Killing stress and anxiety is a part of it.
2# Stimulates Kidney: this yogic pose has shown positive effects on kidney simulation which lead to kidneys better functioning and its found to be helpful for diabetes patients
3# More Elasticity: Gomukhasana helps in stretching the full body parts like- shoulders, arms, chest, trapezius, glutes, hamstrings and quadriceps. Better mobility means better flexibility.
4# Treatment of Sciatica: sciatica occurs when the herniated material from ruptured spinal disc press upon the delicate nerve root emerging from the spinal cord, this causes radiating pain in the lower back, thigh, and calves. Practicing gomukhasana regularly can help in curing sciatica pain.
5# Sure Stiff Shoulders: those who have stiff shoulders should definitely practice this yogic pose. It helps in releasing the stiffness from shoulders and making it more flexible.
6# Cures Sexual Ailments: gomukhasana helps in curing sexual ailments through improves blood flow, easing stiffness from the lower body and relieving stress.
7# Good For People Having Hydrocele: hydrocele is a condition when testicles are filled with fluid and can be noticed through swelling in the scrotum. This yoga is beneficial for the people suffering from a hydrocele.
8# Full Body Toning: Gomukhasana stretches your hips, thighs, chest, shoulders, anterior deltoids, triceps, and lats. So basically gomukhasana is helping you with toning major muscle parts of the body.
9# Improved pasture: One of the core and basis benefits of most of the yoga postures is they help your body with improved posture. Gomukhasana stimulates your spine, shoulders and chest muscle to improve your body’s natural posture.
10# Hip Opener: This classic yogic posture provides efficient deep abductor stretch which results in experiencing more relaxed hip muscles.
Gomukhasana Muscles Worked